Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas in Connecticut & Everywhere | National Catholic Reporter

Christmas in Connecticut & Everywhere | National Catholic Reporter MSW. MGB: Christmas in Washington.  I am sorry, but I cannot let what MSW wrote about connection in Washington v. Connecticut pass.   Like MSW, I am not from here but this has been my home for 30 of the last 31 years.  While the early time here has left little imprint, the last quarter century has firmly embedded me and my family of origin here.  Indeed, my mother, before she died, realized that to see her grandchildren,  she must travel to us - usually to my sister's abode - which has moved but is now a fixture of her Gaithersburg community - mostly because her son is friends with other sons.  I know of houses by who lives in them, including the one owned by the matriarch of  the Luchs family, where there is an annual Christmas eve event where you can find E.J Dionne and his large tribe, as well as other Washington notables.  I know a place where a bridge game and smoke could be had on Sunday afternoons in Georgetown and the home of John Ray in Brookland.  I am a piker at this.  My recently deceased friend and mentor, Marion Barry, knew everyone and every where like he was, well, the Mayor.



Sadly, divorce and the recession have made me poor.  I must soon rush out of here to work and will miss the party at Barbara's, as well as my usual 12th step marathon meeting.  I hope to go to Mass tomorrow, but without a care, Midnight Mass is out of the question (in my parish it is at 7 pm and I will be selling tickets at the not-local multiplex at 5.  I am among the poor that Jesus came to (in April) and am most in need of his coming, though the meeting and the Mass and the time with family that easily allow me to experience these things will not be with me tonite.  Yet I have faith that he is and will be with me and that is the miracle of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment