Thursday, June 21, 2012

Contra Keller

Contra Keller by MSW.  MGB: Keller was reviewing Donohue's book.  I suspect he is ascribing the views you find objectionable to the Curia as a whole, not the Pope.  He is arguing ad absurdo and seems to be quoting Bill.  Without reading the book (which I would never pay for, no matter how good he says it is), I cannot confirm or deny his characterization.  I do agree with MSW that we need not heed the voices that encourage us to follow the protestant impulse and leave.  Indeed, the best voice on why we stay came from Gary Wills in his book "Why I am  a Catholic."  Comparing Donohue and Wills side by side would make a good paper for an undergraduate in either a religion class or a sociology seminar. Classmates who have left say they do so because they just don't trust the Church anymore to teach their children, either in class or the pulpit.  As an individual, I have an obligation to correct the hierarchy when they err (and they do err), especially when they find it inconvenient.  If I remain silent, their sin is on my head as well as theirs.  As far as my child, I can only make sure she hears as much from me as she does the clergy - especially about sex and tolerance.

No comments:

Post a Comment