Thursday, November 26, 2020

Links: Thanksgiving set to music

Links: Thanksgiving set to music 

Many thanks to Michael Sean for giving us a selection of music for the holiday. The choice of Now Thank We All Our God is ironic on a Catholic site, given its origins as Luther's anti-papist anthem. It gives me a chuckle every time it is sung at Mass. My father's Ashkenazi family was converted to Christianity at the point of a Lutheran bayonet and to Catholicism as a consequence of the Peace of Augsberg. My mother's family left England for America because the Anglican Church had become too Catholic. Three centuries later, my father's family came to America. The power of our music and liturgy had my mother convert to Catholicism, which is why I am here. My taste of thanksgiving music, however, tends more toward Arlo Guthrie. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment