Monday, April 4, 2016

March Madness | National Catholic Reporter

March Madness | National Catholic Reporter by MSW. MGB: I am from Iowa, so this year I had a lot to watch (I did not do brackets, but they would have been busted with Michigan State's loss).  The UNI squad was particularly entertaining to watch, but the defeat was heart wrenching and shows the impact of your chief inbounder getting injured.  Oddly, I did not watch Semis, needing to get out of the house and see some of the movies last week's games had me miss (Batman v. Superman is definitely worth it, especially at senior citizen prices).



Competition, whether healthy or not, is a fact of life - which is why no one watches the women's show - first it was Tennessee dominating, now its UConn.  Whatever gives the men parity is not there for the women - of course there are also no seven footers.  In economics, rather than Hoops, there is no good real referee, given that the government in almost all economies is easily bought.  With a good referee, competition is healthy.



In business, competition between product lines gives us improvement - at least as much as the capitalists are ready for (there are rumors of automobiles where mileage could be a lot better save for tacit agreement with oil companies and car companies to keep innovation an agreed upon factor. I was for UNI, so I am for the underdog - which means the workers v. the capitalists.  I want the workers to win and win big so that there are cooperatives and no capitalists at all.



As for the tourney, I have not seen Villanova play, although I know they whooped University of Iowa.  I have seen North Carolina and I don't see how they can be stoped (I may like the underdog and am crazy, but I'm not stupid).

No comments:

Post a Comment