Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Church & the Media | National Catholic Reporter

The Church & the Media | National Catholic Reporter by MSW.  MGB: To be fair to the media, Benedict said he did not believe in the element of randomness that is intrinsic to the Theory of Revolution - making him more of an intelligent designer.  Of course, if you ask any old Catholic, they will not really be up to date on modern science.  Just ask them about the degree of chance in particle physics.  They will both be wrong and blown away.  The important thing is that we are getting it right at Catholic schools and keeping the young people current.  I was, but not all of us took Chemistry - far fewer took Chemistry and Physics in college - those that did were the brainy few.  There may have been a theology student there.  I do not know, I did not go.  I would not think that MSW could explain the significance of the Higgs Bosson (or that there was no person named Bosson on this particle). I certainly can't nor do I need to care.  Academe's division means we don't have to care about everything.



Let me add that this extends to human anthropology.  The Church no longer officially believes in the existence of two people named Adam and Eve who were the first humans.  It still, however, clings to the concept of there being two first parents who seemingly rejected the paradise of being eaten by lions and ate an apple, bringing us both a divine experience and a heritage of sin for millions of years of proto-humanity.  Can't see it - even among the Bushmen of Kalahari.  While the film "The Gods Must Be Crazy" certainly does not show their sinful side, it neither shows the innocence of staying in the garden either. Still, I have friends who became theologians who won't talk to me now because I don't believe in some first parents myth - rather than a much more rational view that the authors of Genesis were telling a fable about human nature, particularly blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment