Friday, February 22, 2019

Martel's Vatican closet book exposes his motives and mistakes, not truth


https://www.ncronline.org/news/opinion/distinctly-catholic/martels-vatican-closet-book-exposes-his-motives-and-mistakes-not
I reacted to America's review of the book last night.

"I wonder how he treats the question of the Hellenistic glorification of asexuality as ideal rather than statistical deviation. After reading the Times piece, I suspect that Brother Ted was more Ace than Gay but made a great scapegoat for the latter. I doubt that there are any heteros left in the Vatican, but who am I to judge?"

After Michael Sean's review I added additional comments.

"I posted on this last night. I noted in the discussion on America's FB page that in some situations authors do not quote soured so that they be anonymous. It appears from the review that there were few sources and that Martel missed the boat on the difference between homosexuals and asexual in the Vatican.

It is the asexuals who are misogynistic, thinking their abnormality a form of holiness rather than a simply different orientation. This misogyny the part of the Hellenism that martyrs from Jesus Maccabee to Jesus Christ to the victims of Diocletian resisted.

Our asexual theology, from the imagined radical chastity of the Holy Family to Sacred Continence (which assumes that sex with a woman renders a priest unclean to say Mass) to Humanae and Evangelium Vitae to not ordaining women all spit on the graves of the martyrs and onto the Sacred Heart. Too bad Martel and MSW missed this."

No comments:

Post a Comment