Monday, February 2, 2015

What's so Super about the Super Bowl? | National Catholic Reporter

What's so Super about the Super Bowl? | National Catholic Reporter by MSW. MGB: The Super Bowl is well named, because is is over the normal championships. Indeed, the first two games say not conference champions competing, but League Champions (and I still consider them such because they still give out trophies).



Last night's ending was fascinating - I missed most of the game because I was working and then had an hour train ride home.  Walking down the hill to my house, I noticed someone pounding on the door to The City Church - a non-denomnational Protestant Church where the old Methodist Church (with graveyard) used to be.  They were showing the game in the basement and had it on loud, so I helped make some counter noise and was befriended and watched the end.  For Jesus, welcoming the stranger is a big thing and they did it right.  Note to Catholic parishes, next year old a Super Bowl party and don't ask for baptismal certificates a the door.  Of course, I am always welcome in any Protestant Church - may ancestors started or helped start the Church of England, the Puritans (later Presbyterians and Congregationalists), the Baptists and the Quakers.  Back to the point, that kind of hospitality is part of the game, as well as our religious traditions (and I have been welcomed by Jews to such events as well - also in my heritage).



The tragedy of the game was that the last pass was stupid and the penalties more stupid.  The Birds through away a possible safety, field goal combo by losing contol - of course, the adrenalin was likely very high, especially if sterioids are in their long term history.



Loyalty is an interstng question.  I suspect for every big time free agent move, there are two or three involuntary trades - so blame the owners - which is why I believe in employee and retiree owned teams.  Of course the ultimate act of disloyalty is from the owner of  the Colts, who moved his team from Baltimore to Indianpolisin th middle of the  night.  Surreal.  Of course, the ultimate essay on football, at least one you can print, is the George Calin piece on football v. baseball.  Still, I would like to see Bette's piece again.

No comments:

Post a Comment