Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Catholic Social Ministry Gathering | National Catholic Reporter

Catholic Social Ministry Gathering | National Catholic Reporter by MSW. MGB: The amazing thing about the CSMG is that it seems to be ancient history that it was called the Parish Social Ministry Gathering and that there is no mention of this fact.  I am not sure whether this is to stress the Catholic identity piece of it or send a signal that it is sourced by the bishops, not the parishes.  Either way, its a bad signal.  I am amazed I did not notice it last year, as I believe most parishes still call it PSM and that it is the point where the Catholic Charities agencies meet the people in the pews. Name or not, I am glad that MSW found it to be the do-it-yourself gathering it has always been.  I don't think the USCCB could engineer this to be a Potempkin villiage, no matter how much some there would wish it.



On the assisted suicide question, I don't really believe that health care providers could even be goaded into themselves goading a patient into suicide for financial reasons, although sometimes the bean counters, including Social Security will limit hospital stays - although the move in health care is to hold hospitals responsible for readmits that occur too early (although my own experience is that getting back into behavioral health settings is almost impossible without saying the magic words about taking your own life). Regardless, Physician Mandated Suicide is an impossibility and all the talk that it is even possible is hysteria.  This question has essentially been divine sovreignty - whether suicide was the worst of mortals because it thwarted the will of God (who was going to take His own time about the issue).  I suspect that this is still in the background and evidence that many in the Church see God as an Ogre.  It is no wonder that the New Atheists and the Satanists like Marilyn Manson have such a following.  (Was I too subtle?)



Still, as  one with behvioral health issues, it is terrifying that a heart transplant will be denied - but I can see - as it would truly be an insult to the donor to have their heart stopped by a deliberate act before its prime.  Do they also deny such care to gun owners because they also kill themselves at a higher rate?  I doubt it - but floating question gives you the answe on mental health.



When my wife was at CCUSA, one of the highlights of my year was dropping off the booth materials to the gathering (which I also attended in support of the Patricia Roberts Harris National Fair Housing Training Academy while at Graduate School USA, we were an exhibitor).  It has always had a great feel, no matter what you call it. Congratulation to Sister Donna, the President-Elect of CCUSA and good luck to Fr. Larry as he returns to Minneapolis.  They need him there.  While the rise of the Sisters in this realm is welcome, it is not  quite the laity storming the barricades to demand control of episcopal election (or even hiring pastors).  I hope paticipants at this gathering are well represented in the upcoming papal visit - from the official program to the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment