Friday, July 28, 2017

For 50 years, Catholic higher ed has followed Land O'Lakes roadmap

For 50 years, Catholic higher ed has followed Land O'Lakes roadmap: Distinctly Catholic:

MGB: When I was at Loras, which was diocesan rather than Order, I was surprised at how modern the teaching was on sexual morals (I heard second had)  I was more conservative then and did not want to expose myself to taint, but eventually I learned to think for myself and grew out of the contradiction of natural law taught with papal authority.  You can't have it both ways.  My first exposure to the nature of the controversy was when Fr. Charles Curran was denied his mandatum by Cardinal Hickey (or in fear of him by the University) for teaching honestly about masturbation. Let's be clear, the issues on Catholic Academy are not about what is taught in Physics (not since Galileo) or Biology (the Church lost the creationism/Eden myth battle long ago), but in Theology/Religious Studies and the bishops v. the profession of academic theology.  Exploring this in the age of Francis (and looking back at the age of John Paul and Benedict) will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment