Friday, February 15, 2013

The Itch That Is Dangerous | National Catholic Reporter

The Itch That Is Dangerous | National Catholic Reporter by MSW.  MGB: The Church should not change its attitude on the morality of abortion.  Growing up to how it can and cannot be made illegal, however, would be progress.  Also, in a natural law ethics, which the Church claims to have, neither tradition nor authority can trump the better argument.  Indeed, the fact that the tradition was wrong may be the superior argument in some cases.  I share the church's opposition to Eugenics, since I have manic depressive disorder (and my daughter is likely to inherit the genetics, even if only passively).  I want grand children and lots of them.  The Church's position is that each of my grandchildren should be entitled to be born - and born into a loving community that works to alleviate their suffering if necessary.  Of course, if you can do a genetic cure that can work prior to gastrulation and therefore ensoulment - I am all for it.  Of course, our most profound ideas often come from folks such as I.  We form a long history of seers, prophets and critics of society.  Something would be lost if there were no mental illness to stir things up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment