Thursday, March 26, 2020

Give me liberty, or give me (grandma's) death!

Give me liberty, or give me (grandma's) death!
I do not think anyone wants to kill Grandma or ask her to sacrifice herself for the common good. Mine died of the flu in 1993 at the age of 97. So did her roommate at their nursing home. Should society have forced her care givers to rush her to the hospital, hook her to a ventilator in the ICU in an induced coma as her organs fail? Praise God that this did not happen. Had she been an active jogger with no dementia, a ventilator could have gotten her back on the road, but she was not.

My other grandmother died two years earlier of heart disease. When I arrived she was on O2, but no vent and her childhood TB had returned. She was not coherent at first, but rebounded when her favorite grandson arrived. We had a nice few days until she began to fade and I had to go back for a new term at American U. Grad student homework does not grade itself. She lasted another week and died peacefully at age 83 and then months and no vent.

My Mom had a vent after asphyxiation in a gas leak. We took her off in 2 days and she died peacefully an hour later. My father lasted a week after a heart attack subsequent to diverticulitis and smoking. If he had been cooled quickly, as my brother was after his MI, he may have made it. My brother was on a vent for two days and is very much alive.

I just got over COVID after 26 days of symptoms. No vent needed. I am now immune and can visit or care for elderly or infected patients with no mask or socialize with old people without fear of their safety.

Being all better by Easter is stupidity one expects from Trump. Charity demands we ignore the old fool. He is correct, however, as I pointed out yesterday, that we cannot spend months on idle while throwing money on the fire.

What we need is a pool of healthcare workers who have gotten sick and recovered. They won't need masks to care for grandma. The way the medical establishment, the governors, the libertarians and the egalitarian are reacting is typical if you understand cultural theory. I wrote a piece about it while in quarentine last Saturday after an ill-fated trip to Safeway. You can read it here.

Trump may be an embarrassment to himself and to us, but he knows enough about inflation to realize that giving out money with few working will be a disaster.

I just found a deal on the scariest supply out there. $19 for six rolls and $8 for delivery and tax. Mine comes in 10 days. Most cannot be ordered for delivery before May. Late April for delivery from Japan or China. I am sure that the Army is sitting in a pile of it, but good luck in getting out of them. Not even Radar O'Reilly can swing that deal. That is what we face if we let the doctors not get sick and then recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment