Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Remembering Paul VI | National Catholic Reporter

Remembering Paul VI | National Catholic Reporter by MSW.  MGB: I was in a pool when I was told Pope Paul had passed.  I mostly remember the press coverage of his trips, including Time Magezines single issue piece on the trip to New York.  He will always be associated with Humanae Vitae (which I was not aware of when he died - although the coverage quickly covered it) and with the Novus Ordo Mass - a variation being a Mass in his honor.  I was in the young habit of going to Mass with my father and remember when they moved Jesus (the language difference was lost on me since I came to look at the stained glass and be with my father, not follow the liturgy - I was four at the time).  Sadly, it is Humane Vitae that has endured (for the wrong reasons) and the new Mass that has been subverted with a new translation that mimics the vast majority of what one could argue is translated Tridentine (without the references to St. Michael and all the angels).  I wonder how his current successor will deal with these issues and the forces that guide them.  I am sure that Francis will be less collegial in protecting curial prerogatives in the way Paul went along.

No comments:

Post a Comment